The Director of Planning and Development Services is responsible for:
- Issuing Building & Plumbing permits;
- Issuing Demolition Permits;
- Carrying out building inspections;
- Issuing wood burning appliance permits and carrying out subsequent inspections;
- Administering Development Permits;
- Reviewing subdivision applications;
- Administering Rezoning Applications;
- Administering the Columbarium.
BUILDING PERMIT APPLICATIONS
Building permits are required for the following: (Please check with the Village of Radium Hot Springs for others not listed.)
- Dwelling units
- Temporary structures
- Manufactured home placements and additions
- Wood burning appliances and chimneys
- Moving a building or structure
- Demolition of a building or structure
- Accessory buildings (sheds)
- Farm buildings
- Structural changes
- Balcony (decks) construction and replacement
What is the process involved in obtaining a building permit?
The Building Permit Application form is available under the 'Documents' tab to the right, or at the Village Office. Complete the application and submit it with a detailed plot plan indicating the location of the proposed building on the property (or a drawing of the proposed structure, such as a deck):
- include elevations above existing watercourses;
- distances from existing watercourses;
- location of existing watercourses;
- location of all existing buildings;
- location of roads;
- setback distances from surrounding property lines;
- location of driveways;
- north arrow.
2 sets of construction blueprints showing the following:
- dimensions of the building;
- details of the foundation;
- floor plans showing proposed use of each room;
- structural, mechanical details, and building sections indicating all building materials.
One set of plans will be returned to you with our comments upon issuance of the permit.
Access permits are necessary if on a numbered highway. Please check with Ministry of Transportation regarding access @ 250-426-1500.
New Home Registry - Contact the Licensing and Consumer Services Office (if building a single family dwelling). Either an Owner/Builder or Residential Builder (contractor) warranty and registration proof is required. Building permits for single family dwellings cannot be issued without the appropriate forms from the Licensing and Consumer Services Office. Please check out their site at www.bchousing.org. They can also be contacted @1-800-407-7757.
Building permit applications are reviewed for setback and zoning compliance. Building plans are processed by the Director of Planning & Development Services. Upon approval from the Director the applicant is notified of building fees. Please remember to sign and date your building permit application form. Building permit processing time is approximately ten working days.
What are the permit fees?
Building permit fees are based on the building area (sq. footage).
When do I get a civic address?
The office can provide you with the civic address, if it has been assigned. If not, it will be assigned at building permit approval.
How long is my permit valid?
Building permits are valid for two years. Reissued permits are valid for one additional year at a cost of $100 or 25% of the original permit cost.
How many hours notice do I need to get an inspection done?
It is best to give our office at least 72 hours notice.
Can I make my own drawings?
Yes, provided they are drawn to scale and reflect all building code requirements.
Can I call the director for technical questions?
Yes. Example: height of handrails, built-up beam specifications, etc.
DEVELOPMENT PERMITS AND SUBDIVISION APPLICATIONS
Call our Director of Planning & Development Services at (250) 347-6455 or email arne [dot] dohlen [at] radiumhotsprings [dot] ca for more information.