for download in pdf format


Disclaimer: The online versions of the Village of Radium Hot Springs bylaws are provided for information or research purposes only. Although every effort is made to assure the accuracy and completeness of online bylaw documents, you should confirm all information before making any decisions based on them. The Village of Radium Hot Springs will, in no event, be liable or responsible for damages of any kind arising out of the use of online bylaws.

These are NOT official versions of the Village of Radium bylaws, nor are these documents admissible in a court of law. For such purposes, official certified copies can be obtained from the  Clerk’s office.

Planning & Development

The Director of Planning and Development Services is responsible for:

  • Issuing Building & Plumbing permits;
  • Issuing Demolition Permits;
  • Carrying out building inspections;
  • Issuing wood burning appliance permits and carrying out subsequent inspections;
  • Administering Development Permits;
  • Reviewing subdivision applications;
  • Administering Rezoning Applications;
  • Administering the Columbarium.


Building permits are required for the following: (Please check with the Village of Radium Hot Springs for others not listed.)

  • Dwelling units
  • Temporary structures
  • Manufactured home placements and additions
  • Wood burning appliances and chimneys
  • Moving a building or structure
  • Demolition of a building or structure
  • Foundations
  • Accessory buildings (sheds)
  • Garages
  • Farm buildings
  • Structural changes   
  • Balcony (decks) construction and replacement

What is the process involved in obtaining a building permit?

The Building Permit Application form is available under the 'Documents' tab to the right, or at the Village Office. Complete the application and submit it with a detailed plot plan indicating the location of the proposed building on the property (or a drawing of the proposed structure, such as a deck):

  • include elevations above existing watercourses;
  • distances from existing watercourses;
  • location of existing watercourses;
  • location of all existing buildings;
  • location of roads;
  • setback distances from surrounding property lines;
  • location of driveways;
  • north arrow.

2 sets of construction blueprints showing the following:

  • dimensions of the building;
  • details of the foundation;
  • floor plans showing proposed use of each room;
  • elevations;
  • structural, mechanical details, and building sections indicating all building materials.

One set of plans will be returned to you with our comments upon issuance of the permit.
Access permits are necessary if on a numbered highway. Please check with Ministry of Transportation regarding access @ 250-426-1500.

New Home Registry - Contact the Licensing and Consumer Services Office (if building a single family dwelling).  Either an Owner/Builder or Residential Builder (contractor) warranty and registration proof is required.  Building permits for single family dwellings cannot be issued without the appropriate forms from the Licensing and Consumer Services Office.  Please check out their site at They can also be contacted @1-800-407-7757.

Building permit applications are reviewed for setback and zoning compliance.  Building plans are processed by the Director of Planning & Development Services.  Upon approval from the Director the applicant is notified of building fees. Please remember to sign and date your building permit application form. Building permit processing time is approximately ten working days.

What are the permit fees?
Building permit fees are based on the building area (sq. footage). 

How long is my permit valid?
Building permits are valid for two years. Reissued permits are valid for one additional year at a cost of $100 or 25% of the original permit cost.

How many hours notice do I need to get an inspection done?
It is best to give our office at least  72 hours notice.

Can I make my own drawings?
Yes, provided they are drawn to scale and reflect all building code requirements.

Can I call the director for technical questions?
Yes. Example:  height of handrails, built-up beam specifications, etc.

When do I get a civic address?
The office will provide you with the civic address, if it has been assigned. If not, it will be assigned at building permit approval.  

When it comes to selecting and installing your civic address numbers, the Village is working with the Columbia Valley RCMP Detachment to encourage residents to display their residential numbers so that they are easily visible from the road. The RCMP have provided the following guide on best practices for clear residential number display:

Columbia Valley RCMP

The Columbia Valley Royal Canadian Mounted Police is committed to providing the Columbia Valley with exceptional policing to all of its residents. An integral part of community policing is providing an efficient and timely response to all calls for service posed by the community at large.  The rapid response to these calls is largely based on the ability of the police to locate exactly where the call for service is. One area where the residents can assist police respond more quickly surrounds the proper display of residential numbers.  Members of all emergency services within the Columbia Valley can benefit from proper and clear display of your residential number. Included below is guide to best practices for clear residential number display. It is also a good idea to check with your local municipality as there may be specific guidelines on how to display your residential numbers.

  • The number shall be displayed in a location visible from the road which the number is assigned. 
  • Number may be placed on the house, but only if they are readily visible from the road (usually within 50 feet) and the view of the numbers is not blocked by trees and shrubs.

  • Numbers may be placed on a sign or post at the entrance to the right-of-way or shared driveway. 
  • Numbers should be at least 3 inches high.

  • Numbers should be plain block numerals, not script or written numbers.

  • Numbers shall be set on a background or contrasting color, preferably white or black.
  • Do not place number on utility poles, county road signs, or anywhere within the road right-of-way. 




Call our Director of Planning & Development Services at (250) 347-6455 or email arne [dot] dohlen [at] radiumhotsprings [dot] ca for more information.