Planning, Development & Building Services
Phone: 250-347-6455 ext. 7
For Building Permit inquiries:
Please note: The Village contracts its building inspection services, and the contractor is in Radium Tuesdays and Thursdays only.
For Development & Planning Services:
The Planning, Development & Building Services Department is responsible for building permits, building inspections, subdivision applications, as well as:
- Issuing Building & Plumbing permits
- Issuing Demolition permits
- Carrying out building inspections
- Issuing Wood Burning Appliance permits and carrying out subsequent inspections
- Administering Development permits
- Reviewing Subdivision applications
- Administering Rezoning applications
- Administering the Columbarium
Building permits are required for the following: (this is not a complete list – please check with the Village Office):
- Dwelling units
- Temporary structures
- Manufactured home placements and additions
- Wood burning appliances and chimneys
- Moving a building or structure
- Demolition of a building or structure
- Accessory buildings (sheds)
- Structural changes
- Balcony (decks) construction and replacement
- Complex buildings (under Part 3 of BC Building Code)
- Retaining structures over 1.5 metres in height
What is the process involved in obtaining a building permit?
Download the Building Permit Application Package or pick one up from the Village Office. Complete the application and submit it with a detailed plan. With reference to the question about Schedule 2 of the Contaminated Sites Regulation in the package, more information can be found here. Refer to the Building Permit Guide for detailed application requirements:
Commonly Asked Questions
What are the permit fees?
- Building permit fees are based on $75 + $7/1000 of the cost to construct or alter.
How long is my permit valid?
- Building permits are valid for two years. Reissued permits are valid for one additional year at a cost of $75 plus $7/1000 of work to be completed.
How many hours’ notice do I need to get an inspection done?
- It is best to give our office at least 48 hours’ notice. The Village contracts out its building permit and inspection services. The contractor has set days in Radium, being Tuesdays and Thursdays. Please plan your inspections accordingly.
Can I make my own drawings?
- Yes, provided they are drawn to scale and reflect all building code requirements.
Can I call the building inspector for technical questions such as height of handrails, built-up beam specifications, etc.?
- Yes, however, the inspector’s hours in Radium are Tuesdays and Thursdays only. You may also email him.
When do I get a civic address?
- The office will provide you with the civic address, if it has been assigned. If not, it will be assigned at building permit approval.
Development Permits and Subdivision Applications
Contact the Village Office.