General Inquiries – Protective Services Department
Protective Services (Bylaw) Officer: Gary Burford
Phone: 250-347-6455 ext. 203
The Protective Services Department (aka Bylaw Enforcement) is responsible for enforcing Village Bylaws such as:
- Unsightly Premises
- Noise Control
- Special Events
- Traffic and parking Issues
Visit the Document Centre for a list of common bylaws:
Filing a Complaint
If you wish to file a complaint about a possible bylaw infraction, please complete the General Complaint Form and submit it by email or fax to the Village Office or drop it off in person. This form is also available at the Village Office, or by fax and email if you are having difficulty downloading it.
Signage Regulation Bylaw
The Signage Regulation Bylaw is intended to enhance the attractiveness and economic well-being of the Village as a place to live, visit, vacation and conduct business. It is also intended to reduce the dangers of construction and installation of unsafe signs or signs that may create a traffic hazard.
All signs, unless exempt from the bylaw, require a permit. The Protective Services Officer reviews sign permit applications, including sandwich board signs.
When is a Sign Permit required?
- Any signage being considered for commercial or industrial business — including sandwich board signs — requires approval through issuance of a Sign Permit.
What is required for a Sign Permit?
- An applicant must complete a Sign Permit Application Form (download the form or request a form from the Village Office) and pay the applicable fees.
How long does it take to process a Sign Permit?
- An application may be completed within 1-3 days.
- IIf an application must go through Council for final approval, this may take up to 4 weeks depending on when the application is received and the date of the next Council Meeting.
What costs are involved in getting a Sign Permit?
- The fee for a Sign Permit is $60 per sign.
- The fee for applying for a sandwich board sign is $25.
The Protective Services Officer conducts annual fire inspections for commercial properties in Radium.
The Village contracts its Dog Control Officer through the Regional District of East Kootenay. The Protective Services Officer is NOT the Dog Control Officer.
If you have a dog complaint, contact RDEK Dog Control Officer Damien Richard at 250-341-7880 or complete a General Complaint Form and submit it to the Village Office. It will be sent to Damien for action.